Sunday 22 January 2012

Module One. Chapter Four.

I really enjoyed the cut paper shapes exercises. It's possible to create some lovely designs from what initially appear to be quite uninspiring motifs.These exercises are very addictive though and time just flows by! I tried several different shapes and managed to get a good range of solid and open designs, this was important when layering the shapes.

Sheet 1


Sheet 2 - I particularly like the radiating designs resulting from the last extra diagonal fold.

Sheet 3

Sheet 4 - The last two shapes on this sheet show the same design resulting from two slightly different folding methods - this is helpful as it allows me to see how I can begin to visualise what the end design will turn out like. This will save me time in future by allowing me to spend a little less time experimenting.

Sheet 5


Sheet 6

Sheet 7

Sheet 8
Sheet 9
Sian suggested trying some cut & fold shapes starting by folding in the corners of the paper, I hadn't thought of this variation when completing chapter 4 so I did a few. Having a wide variation of shapes to choose from for layering is very useful so I'm pleased I tried these extra shapes.






Layering the cut and fold shapes using coloured papers really helps in visualising how these designs might translate into fabric samples. In some combinations I have tried to use the angles of one shape to draw the eye  towards interesting areas in the other or created by the layering; in others I have considered the complexity of each shape in order to select layers that compliment one another.

I particularly like the top right sample on this page, the top layer isolates the central portion of the solid cross within the negative space that is also a distinct cross shape. I could also have rotated this top layer so that the two cross shapes were at different angles but I liked the way that the square corners frame the small diamond shapes of the lower layer. 

I particularly like the sample on the right of this page, the very complex  layer  gives the impression of something hidden and only revealed by careful examination. 

No comments:

Post a Comment