Saturday 2 June 2012

Module One. Chapter Eleven Continued.

This is a composite sheet showing development throughout this module from an inspirational image through design exercises, printed paper and stitched samples.



I continued with my resolved sample (following feedback from Sian) with a coloured paper version of my chosen design.


This was a very useful exercise as it highlighted some areas that I chose to change. I like the central area and the lozenge shapes connecting the 4 corner squares containing the cross shapes at various stages of disintegration. I don't like the outer corners - these need to be cut way further leaving just the square shape.


 This is the modified design. I am much happier with this layout. I chose the 'cut & slash' method to show disintegration of each cross shape. I started by selecting my fabrics -
  1. lightweight cotton for the backing on which my design was drawn
  2. cotton poplin that I dyed and printed using a cross shape stamp
  3. coloured muslin
  4. silk/cotton mix that I dyed with Procion dyes
  5. muslin that I dyed with Procion dyes
  6. silk habotai 8 that I dyed with Procion dyes
  7. coloured muslin
  8. cotton poplin that I dyed with Procion dyes
  9. cotton voile that I dyed with Procion dyes
  10. silk habotai 8 that I dyed with Procion dyes

This is my stack of chosen fabrics with the design outline machine stitched prior to the excess fabric being cut away from the top layer.

Stitching the design from the reverse, choosing fairly lightweight fabrics kept the stack a reasonable thickness for machine stitching allowing me to use 10 layers.

This is my completed sample (approximately 27cm square) - I used a soft toothbrush to fluff up the cut lines, edged the square motifs with machine zigzag stitching for contrast and added hand stitching to embellish the piece further. The central cross shape is padded from the back.


This close up shows the cut edges, they are lovely and colourful revealing all the lower layers.

There are several elements of the final result I am peased with -
  • Cutting away the top layer around the stitched elements gives the impression these shapes are applied but this method is much quicker.
  • There is a progressive amount of disintegration shown with each of the smaller cross shapes.
  • The larger central cross shape can be seen as totally disintegrated or fully grown as the padding makes the shape stand out from the surface.
  • The eye travels around the piece either from grown to disintegrated or vice versa in either a clockwise or anti clockwise direction.
  • The shapes that are cut back take the form of another cross shape but also punctuate the dividing lines between each of the 4 corner areas.
  • The hand stitching embellishes the design without being distracting.
The only thing that I might do differently if making this sample again would be to make the second layer of fabric a contrasting colour. As I started to cut back the top I layer I felt I had made a mistake making the two layers so close in colour. As it turns out I am happy with the final result but it would be interesting to see the piece with a more dramatic feel that a strong contrast would give.



The total time spent on design work for my resolved sample was a little under 27 hours whilst completion of the resolved sample took a little over 20 hours.
Although most of the materials I used came from supplies I already owned I managed to work out an approximate costing for materials of £5.97. 



Health & Safety

Paint
Store upright with lid securely closed and out of the reach of small children.
Glue
Store upright with lid securely closed and out of the reach of small children. Use solvent based glue in well ventilated area.
Procion Dye Powder
Store in cool, dry place, ensure lids are replaced securely and keep out of the reach of small children.
Wear mask when mixing dyes and protective gloves both when mixing and using dyes.
Procion Dye Chemicals

Store dry chemicals in clearly marked container with secure lid and in a cool, dry place. Wear mask and protective gloves when mixing chemical solutions.
Store liquid chemicals in clearly marked container with securely fitting lid.
Store all chemicals out of the reach of small children.  
Scissors

Keep all sharp objects out of the reach of small children.
Keep separate scissors for cutting paper and fabric.
Cutting Knife
+/or Rotary Cutter
Keep all sharp objects out of the reach of small children.
Ensure blades are covered or retracted when not in use. Change blades following instructions and ensure used blades are wrapped or put into a sealed container for disposal.
Cutting board

Use a self healing cutting mat with a cutting blade or rotary cutter.
Store flat if possible to avoid buckling.
Sewing Machine

Store in a clean dry place when not in use. Ensure flexes are not trailing across floor when in use as this presents a tripping hazard.
Regularly clean lint from underneath footplate and spool holder as per instruction manual.
Ensure machine is regularly serviced.
Use appropriate needle for project and use new needle with each new project – change as per instruction manual.
Iron

Ensure flexes are not trailing across floor when in use as this presents a tripping hazard.
Allow iron to cool completely before putting away.
Always use with appropriate surface i.e. a covered ironing board.
Pins & Needles
Store in appropriate container to avoid spilling.
Do not put pins & needles in mouth as this presents a swallowing and choking hazard.
Pick up any dropped pins and needles as quickly as possible.
Heat gun

Ensure flexes are not trailing across floor when in use as this presents a tripping and fire hazard.
Use on a stable and heatproof surface.
Always turn off when laying heat gun down during use.
Do not touch heated element end of heat gun as this presents a burning hazard.
Keep workspace clear of items that are not in use.
Keep damp cloth close by in order to quickly cover and extinguish any items that catch alight.
Use in a well ventilated area, particularly when heating/melting materials that give off fumes.
Use a face mask if necessary.
Candles

Use on a stable, heatproof surface.
Keep workspace clear of items that are not in use.
Keep damp cloth and/or a bowl of water close by in order to quickly extinguish any items that catch alight. - Consider working next to a sink so that any items that catch alight can be extinguished quickly and safely.
Hold items/materials over flame with tongs to avoid burning fingers.





1 comment:

  1. Hello Julie, You have been busy! I love the finished piece for chapter 11 of module one. Your friend Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete